Sunday, January 1, 2017

Tatting 25 motifs

January 1st is a good date to start things, so I've decided to start the 25 motif challenge.  I've actually done it before on my previous blog.  I'm going to start another round on this blog because I have different goals this time.

My kids are bigger now, and I do most of my making and crafting with them (which is why it's Our Crafty Empire).  One of the things we're working on is digital content creation.  They're learning to make videos and I want to get good vector graphics (I want to learn Adobe Illustrator).  Tatting diagrams are basically vector graphics.

I also quite like the look of vintage patterns.  Something about those classic doilies and collars just sets my heart a flutter.  However, I don't like working vintage patterns because of the tiny, squished up instructions and lack of diagrams.

So here's my plan for my 25 tatting motif challenge:

1) 25 tatting motifs
    - mostly vintage, hopefully a few of my own variations
2) 25 diagrams, one for each motif
    - most of them with typed out row by row instructions

By the end of the year, I should have a bunch of tatted motifs, a set of tatting diagrams, and some new skills (both tatting and Adobe Illustrator).

Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew.


Here's the first one.

Medallion No. 128 from Corticelli Lessons in Tatting


(Nope, I don't see that missing ring in round 3.  I don't see it... don't see it...)


First round
R: 10 (large picot) 10
C: 10

* R: 10 + 10 (join to large picot) 
C: 10
Repeat from * 4 more times
Tie off and hide ends

Second round
C: 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - join to point of previous round
Repeat 5 more times
Tie off and hide ends

Third round
R: 3 - 2 - 3 + 3 - 2 - 3 (join to centre picot of chain of previous round)
C: 3 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3
R: 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 + 2 - 3 (join to previous ring)
R: 3 + 2 - 5 + 5 - 2 - 3 (join to base of chain of previous round)
R: 3 + 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 3 (join to previous ring)
C: 3 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 3
R: 3 + 2 - 3 + 3 - 2 - 3 (join to previous ring, join to centre picot of chain of previous round)
Repeat 5 more times

Tie off and hide ends

4 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous!!! :) Thank you for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look very, very hard to find the missing ring.
    It's not obvious at all!

    Robin Perfetti's blog 'Tatting by the Bay' also has some interesting information drawing diagrams. I prefer to tat from drawings, also, but I keep waiting for 'easy' software.

    I'm still in awe of classic patterns but not the old notations! Thanks for the pattern and the drawing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll check out 'Tatting by the bay'. I need all the info I can get!

      Delete